Tuesday, October 10, 2017

2015-6-15 Crytpobia Discus plague dosing strategy


Carey,

Thanks for the update-I’m glad to hear that something is working!. Since the cryptobia are naturally found in the discus, I don’t know if eradication is feasible. Higher dosing in food materials may be a possible way to eliminate the infection.



From: Cottle, Carey
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 12:46 PM
To: Baumgartner, Wes; Dr. Sam Young

Subject: Cryptobia update

Drs.,

My first attempt at using dimetridazole was inadequate bc I underdosed, not taking into account the powder was 40% active ingredient.  I redosed and the fish have responded well.  Off the med for 2 weeks fish are eating well and regaining weight.  My interpretation of the appearance of the stool with presence of fat globules and other poorly digested food suggests some malabsorption is still present probably from prior damage to the GI tract.  There are still a few Cryptobia evident.  At 100X there are at most 3 per field of view.  Must I fully eliminate the Cryptobia to prevent disease?  At present the fish are not symptomatic except for being a bit underweight with the evidence of malabsorption in one of the 2 fish.

BTW, after using the messy product Emtryl for the source of dimetridazole I found that a Marcel product for fish called Clout contains this without the messy additives that cloud the water.

I think I will try this as recommended in the Cryptobia article from IFAS.  FYI, I got this from Sigma Aldrige chemical company and it was not easy to obtain.

bath treatment with 2-amino-5-nitrothiazol
(10 mg/L for 24 hrs, followed by a 80-100% water change,
repeated daily for 3 days).


I spoke with Dr. Chen in Washington state about his study using isometamidium to treat Cryptobia in Salmon and he was encouraging.  However, it has been impossible to obtain this in the US so far.

If you have other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks for your interest and advice,

No comments:

Post a Comment