Wednesday, August 7, 2013

2013-8-7 Disease update

Main tank has recovered well.  May need to repeat Levmisole next week to keep the cycle of parasites from repeating with newly hatched eggs.
The small flamingo red discus is eating again but will not eat with the other fish.  It acts traumatized, probably by all the housekeeping I have to do with the tank.
The 1/2 blind coral has remated with the same blue fish as before indicating health.

I have tried to increase Excel to cut down on hair algae and it looks successful.

I dropped the pH in the main tank to 6.0 with phosphoric acid and CO2.  This is for disease prevention effects.  No problem with increased ammonia.

QT tank:  The large Golden Melon looks to have recovered with 2 injx of Baytril 0.1cc IM QOD X 2.  Developed white spots c/w fungus.  Skin scraping showed nothing else but apparent fungal hyphae, though I have trouble discerning the diff bn fungal hyphae and algae strands bc the strands look green sometime to me.
For this I increased temp to 88F and added salt at 1 tbsp./5gal and added Rid-Ich Plus which is combo of formalin and malachite green.  Dosed q-12-24hrs.  After 2-3 days the spots have appeared to resolve.  The fish is not eating great but eating some.

The other coral albino that is not blind has been in the tank for 10 days or so for what looked like wasting disease.  He had withdrawn and stopped eating for a week before QT with no external signs of disease.  For this I dropped the pH gradually to 5.0.  I will go ahead and drop it further to 4.0 per Jack Wattley since it doesn't look like I'll have to QT more fish at this time.  He is eating enough to appear status quo in weight but clearly needs to gain.

Need to replace bulb in UV light.  Also I treated the main tank for cyanobacteria again this week with Chemiclean.
I ideally should do twice weekly water changes but clearly that is not practical at this time.

Crypts and Java fern grow well with added nitrogen.  Red plant needs further tweaking to grow faster to outpace the hair algae/algae on the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment